Yearly Archives: 2006

Meeting minutes (2006-12-14)

NASC Board Meeting
December 14, 2006

This NASC Board Meeting was called to order at approximately 8:11 Central Time.

Members in Attendance

CarniCopper - Rose Witt, President
PlantAKiss - Suzanne Hedderly, Vice-President
VodooDancer - Mark Todd, Head of Conservancy
Houstonherp - Mike Howlett, Head Grower
Schloaty - David Schloat, Treasurer
YenYenJ - Jonathan Treffkorn, Secretary
alttlelight - Noah, PR and Education
EmesisPFT – Arthur, NASC Website

Business followed

Reports were given:

1). PR and Education head, Noah, lead discussion on his survey form. It was discussed that the survey form should be mandatory for all reports and should be filled in with as much as possible on all NASC site visits. It was discussed that Dave and Noah maintain the database at this time. A vote will be held at the December 21 weekly NASC meeting, given a quorum is met.

2). A discussion was held as to the NASC's position on taxonomic acceptance of the species Sarracenia rosea. S. rosea has been published and there is strong evidence from scientific journals that it is a species. A vote was held for the NASC to formally accept the taxonomic term S. rosea. The vote was initiated by Suzanne, seconded by Noah, and passed without contest.

3). Secretary Jonathan discussed the Secretary Policy and Procedures document. It was agreed that standardizations to format and language would be made and re-sent to all board members for review and a vote would be held at the December 21 weekly meeting for formal acceptance of the document.

4). Head of Conservancy, Mark, reported on several sites on which landowners have invited the NASC to survey and help manage in the case of development.

5). Public Relations and Education Policy and Procedures documents were brought to vote my Noah, seconded by Jonathan, and passed without contest.

6). Vice President Suzanne reported that the Vice President Policy and Procedures document would be made available for review/vote for the December 21 weekly meeting.

7). Other Board Policy and Procedures documents will be made available in the future.

The meeting was called to a close at approximately 9:30 Central Time.

Thanks to all those who were in attendance.

Meeting minutes (2006-11-30)

NASC Board Meeting
November 30, 2006 (pushed back due to circumstances)

This Nasc Board Meeting for Nov 30 was called to order at 8:00 PM Central Time

Members in Attendance

CarniCopper - Rose Witt, President
PlantAKiss - Suzanne Hedderly, Vice-President
VodooDancer - Mark Todd, Head of Conservancy
Houstonherp - Mike Howlett, Head Grower
Schloaty - David Schloat, Treasurer
YenYenJ - Jonathan Treffkorn, Secretary
alttlelight - Noah, PR and Education

Business Followed:

1). The status of the NASC bank account was discussed. Treasurer Dave Schloat will be meeting with a bank representative to make an official NASC account.

2). The PR and Education Policies & Procedures was reviewed and it was decided that its acceptance would be voted on at the next NASC Board Meeting in December of 2006.

3). Head of Conservancy Mark Todd discussed an opportunity about two land owners concerned with preservation and requested official documents to allow him to work under the sanctions and protections of the NASC with said landowners in maintaining the integrity of the stands.

4). Maintenance of documents pertaining to visited sites was discussed and it was proposed that Noah, Head of PR and Education be the steward of said documents. Noah agreed to look in to the possibility of this idea.

5). It was decided that meetings would be held weekly, every Thursday from this point forth. It was requested that Board members make at least two of the extra meetings per month, but only the official monthly Board meetings remain mandatory. It was reiterated that a quorum of four (4) Board members must be met before a vote can me made and that a minimum of one (1) week hours must be allowed between presenting material to be voted on and the meeting. The requirement to have a week notice was voted on and passed unanimously by the board.

The meeting was called to a close at approximately 9:15 PM Central Time

Thanks to all who attended!

Meeting minutes (2006-10-19)

The NASC Special Meeting for October 19 was called to order at 8:15 PM Central Time

Those in attendance
CarniCopper - Rose Witt, President
PlantAKiss - Suzanne Hedderly, Vice-President
VodooDancer - Mark Todd, Head of Conservancy
Houstonherp - Mike Howlett, Head Grower
Schloaty - David Schloat, Treasurer
YenYenJ - Jonathan Treffkorn, Secretary
alttlelight - Noah, PR and Education
Ephippiata - Dustin
runtravrun1 - Travis
sarraceniahunter - Boglodyte (Greg)
Bamaud

Business Followed:
1). Priorities were discussed and were laid out as follows: i) Legal Status ii) Bank Status iii) Budget iv) Committees.

i. Legal Status- As of Thursday night NASC was not yet up on the state website listed as a legally recognized nonprofit organization.

ii. Bank Status- The issue of bank status was tabled until next meeting due to that fact that there had been no confirmation of NASC legal recognition.

iii. Budget- Budget estimates were created and finalized at: $2000 for Conservancy, $1000 Growers, $500 Misc, $400 Research, $300 PR, $200 VP, $75 Treasurer, $50 President, $50 Secretary, $25 Website. Totaling $4600.

iv. Committee heads are to work with Arthur to establish committee pages for the NASC website.

2). A vote to accept the Collection Policy as it stands was proposed by Rose. It was decided that the policy would be accepted as it stands.

3). A nondisclosure clause was discussed to be made part of the membership application for ALL members (member, grower, board member, etc.)

No issues planned for discussion at next regular meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at approx. 9:38 PM Central Time.

Thanks to all who attended.
AS OF 2006/10/21, NASC IS LEGAL!

Meeting minutes (2006-10-12)

The NASC Board Meeting for October 12 was called to order at 8:00 pm Central time.

Those in attendance:
CarniCopper - Rose Witt, President
PlantAKiss - Suzanne Hedderly, Vice-President
VodooDancer - Mark Todd, Head of Conservancy
Houstonherp - Mike Howlett, Head Grower
Nepenthesrick - Rick Meyers, Head of Research
Schloaty - David Schloat, Treasurer
Capslock - Max, Secretary
YenYenJ - Jonathan Treffkorn, New Secretary
EmesisPFT – Arthur Yin
alttlelight – Noah, PR and Education
Drosera36 - Ben
sarraceniahunter – Boglodyte (Greg)
Ephippiata – Dustin

Business followed:

1). Copper reported that legal papers had been submitted. Awaiting confirmation of approval on Nebraska state website.

2). Copper and members present agreed to hold a meeting next Thursday (October 19) to discuss the actions required to be taken upon the approval of legal paperwork.

3). Head Grower motioned to have a vote on Board membership dues; seconded by Schloaty. It was voted upon and passed that Board members will pay dues as will every other member. The fee amount of ten (10) dollars a year was reaffirmed.

4). Copper called to the committee heads to create an estimate of projected costs per year for each committee. Estimates will be presented at next week's October 19 meeting. Estimates for two (2) years expenses are required by the Federal government. Estimates were discussed by committee heads as to what to include in the estimates.

5). Capslock (Max) announced that due to work demands he must resign his position of NASC Secretary. Discussion on a new Secretary was initiated. Drosera36 (Ben), Boglodyte (Greg), and YenYenJ (Jonathan) were suggested. Discussion ensued, responsibilties were discussed, and it was determined that Ben and Greg were unable to accept the position. Alttlelight (Noah) created a motion to accept Jonathan, Capslock seconded. The motion was voted upon and Jonathan Treffkorn was accepted as new NASC Secretary.

6). Noah, PR and Education Head gave a report on his work. Discussed were duties of PR and Education departments, and pertinent forms and letters for contacting landowners. Noah will begin work on a pamphlet aimed teaching children for in class presentations upon the request of Rose.

7). Finalization of Collection Policy was discussed. The final verdict was that no more than 2% of plants from a stand would be collected unless 50 plants or less are present, or the site is in imminent danger.

8) Issues on the table for next meeting: Completion of legal paperwork, budget estimates.

The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:15.

Thanks to all that attended.

Meeting minutes (2006-08-10)

The NASC monthly Board meeting was called to order August 10th at 8 p.m. central time.

Attendees:

Suzanne Hedderly (PlantAKiss), V.P.
Mark Todd (Voodoodancer), Head of Conservancy
Mike Howlett (HoustonHerp), Head Grower
Rick Myers (NepenthesRick), Head of Research
David Schloat (Schloaty), Treasurer
Arthur Yin (EmesisPFT)
Dustin Trusdell (Ephippiata)
Steve (Stnvangel)
Greg Nevels (Sarraceniahunter)
Travis Barkalow(Runtravrun1)

Reports were given.

Head Grower: Mike reported that he is short staffed; Zak and Bugweed are both “MIA.” We will be fine for a while but these two growers may need to be replaced. *Thank you letters were sent to the three vendors who donated plants to the NASC auction (Botanique, Black Jungle and Meadowview) which helped bring in about $500. *Mike had lackluster response to his plea for location-specific Sarracenia; he placed a post to see if a trade would bring in material. *Greg may have plants for NASC and is researching location. *Mike is also working with others including The Nature Conservancy and Steve LaWarre for plant material. Suggestions to garner plant material included a post to the Listserv, solicitations of vendors and other known Sarracenia growers/collectors. *Rick suggested an ad for NASC in the ICPN and Steve suggested an article be written for the ICPN. *Rick will follow up on those ideas. *Mark will try to contact TNC in his area for possible collecting.

Head of Conservancy Report: *Mark and Suzanne are working on the Collecting Policy. *It is in a rough draft form but needs a few points clarified before its ready for submission to the Board.

Treasurer Report: Dave reported that most of the auction items are completed. *Only a few items are unpaid for and some have not been sent (or possibly not reported as received). *Dave is still waiting on information on our legal status before he can establish our bank account. *A discussion ensued about the situation with Bugweed. *It was decided that all winners of Bugweed’s auctions will be contacted and given the option of a refund, a refund + shipping or leaving their money as a donation to NASC. *Suzanne and Schoaty will take care of contacting all those winners.

Head of Research: Rick reported the Gulfport site next to the Sportsplex and new water park
is under research. *Steve Thomas has provided information.

The remainder of the discussion was led by Arthur in regards to the website. *Individuals were assigned (some inabsentia) various pages which they will be responsible for updating. *Arthur will write up a step-by-step instruction sheet on how to do the updating for those not familiar with web work. *Some pages will be more “static” than others.

Page assignments are:

Arthur: ABOUT, Mission Statement, Excursions, Photographs, Webmaster, LINKS
Rose: Bylaws (needs updating), NASC Board
Mike: Why NASC?, Committees, Grower's Committee, Collections
Suzanne: Bylaws (help Rose), Join, Membership Form (updating), Affiliates
Max: News, Meeting Minutes, Meeting Schedule
Rick: Research Committee
Dave: Roster, Donors (sub-page of Affliates)
Noah: PR & Education
Jeremiah: Distribution (via Mike)

A short discussion followed on possible contacts of other Sarracenia growers.

The meeting was adjoured at approximately 10:30 p.m.

Thank you to all who attended and participated in the discussions!