Monthly Archives: August 2011

Meeting minutes (2011-08-25)

-Meeting began at 9:00 pm EST

Emily Troiano, President - present

Ryan Kitko, Vice President - present

Joseph Clemens, Secretary - absent

Sheila Stewart, Treasurer - present

Joe Granville, Head of PR and Education – present

Mark Todd, Head of Conservation - present

Victor Holland, Administrator of Plant Materials - present

Yann Rodenas, Member at Large - Present

Kris Hardy, Member at Large - absent

- Yann to fill in for Joseph as secretary

- Discussed remaining open NASC 2011 auction

- Joe working on completing Newsletter

- Discussed and approved Vic’s trip to Dulaney Bog

- Discuss merchandise design; explore artist options

- Meeting Ended at approximately 10:30 pm EST

Meeting minutes (2011-08-18)

Meeting began at approximately 8:15 PM

Central Board Members Attendance Status:

Emily Troiano, President - present

Ryan Kitko, Vice President - present

Joseph Clemens, Secretary - absent

Sheila Stewart, Treasurer - present

Joe Granville, Head of PR and Education – absent

Mark Todd, Head of Conservation - present

Victor Holland, Administrator of Plant Materials - present

Yann Rodenas, Member at Large - absent

Kris Hardy, Member at Large - absent

Dulany Bog: It is a "Mountain bog in trouble." NC mountains do not have Sphagnum bogs like this. See Barry Rice, CPN 37(2).

Agenda for the first meeting at Dulany: -Find out what the Forest Service is currently doing to manage

-Find out where the other threatened and endangered plants are to avoid meddling with those

-Ask HBS botanists about trees that treat the shrubs (pruning and treating). Once a year? Twice a year? We discussed that we need a secretary that will be present at most meetings. According to our bylaws, Joseph has resigned from the position. We will further discuss assigning duties temporarily to a Member at Large and perhaps elect an interim secretary for the rest of this term. Ended at 9:15 PM Central.

Meeting minutes (2011-08-11)

Meeting began at approximately 8:08 PM Central

Board Members Attendance Status:

Emily Troiano, President - present

Ryan Kitko, Vice President - present

Joseph Clemens, Secretary - absent

Sheila Stewart, Treasurer - present

Joe Granville, Head of PR and Education – absent

Mark Todd, Head of Conservation - present

Victor Holland, Administrator of Plant Materials - present

Yann Rodenas, Member at Large - absent

Kris Hardy, Member at Large - absent

Arthur Yin, advisory - present

Matters:

-Dulany Bog: We want to visit the site to figure out our proposal for management. Arthur, Vic, and Mark would like to visit the bog on the weekend of September 23rd. Alternative: September 16th. Vic will contact Larry Mellichamp, Jim Costa (Highland's Biological Station), and Max (USFS) to check which weekend works best for them. If it's the 16th, Sheila and Emily could possibly attend. NASC could reimburse travel and lodging.

-New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) show: Sheila and Mark will be at the NASC table, the first weekend in October.

-One auction item still outstanding? Emily will send PMs to those involved.

-Sheila will call the bank to see what we need to do to get her name on the signature card so she can issue checks.

-Printfection shop: Get logo on shirts ASAP so we can have them at the NECPS show. Organize design contest (Ryan and Joe) on TF.

Ended at 8:55 PM Central.

Meeting minutes (2011-08-04)

Meeting began at approximately 8:15 PM Central

Board Members Attendance Status:

Emily Troiano, President - absent

Ryan Kitko, Vice President - present

Joseph Clemens, Secretary - absent

Shiela Stewart, Treasurer - present

Joe Granville, Head of PR and Education – present

Mark Todd, Head of Conservation - present

Victor Holland, Administrator of Plant Materials - present

Yann Rodenas, Member at Large - present

Kris Hardy, Member at Large - absent

-We are working to resolve a monetary issue from the auction funds in 2005. Sheila will contact the previous treasurer, David, to get contact info so we can verify the money had changed hands and was in our possession. Alternative plan: Discuss this with David at the NECPS show in October.

-Ryan will send an e-mail to Sheila to remind her to e-mail the IRS 501(c)(3) affirmation letter to Ryan. We'll put it up on GoogleDocs.

-Joe: No movement yet on the newsletter. In the next couple days, he will get the newsletter laid out. Most of the content is complete. Yann will write up the pollination section and get that sent to Joe this weekend.

-Second fundraiser for this year? Still discuss raffle, but "put it on the backburner." Voted unanimously to look into our options and begin sorting out what would be necessary to set up another fundraiser (tech: small payments? Paypal? Through our website?). Joe's sentiment is that if it's easy, we could squeeze it in this year; Ryan thinks it will pass us by before we know it, so we shouldn't bother trying this year. Emily's e-mail indicated she thought we should try to gear up for the next spring auction, get situated with Dulany Bog, and build excitement for that project.

-Vic: Dulany Bog - he will e-mail Larry Mellichamp to see if he can go out with us in mid-to-late September to assess the site. Discuss with Larry. Vic and Yann working on updating the grower's guide; will pass it on to everyone, review it, then vote on changes.

-Ryan: Printfection shop - Can we offer to pay a small commission if artists are unwilling to donate their designs? Open contest on Terraforums? Crowdsourcing? Contest on TF: $100 grand prize? Designs will be voted on by TF members, top 3 to 5 chosen by TF members, then top prize awarded by the board. All entries could get Jerry Addington seedlings, as an incentive to enter (everyone's a winner!). Joe will ask Jerry for this. Ryan will write guide (size, resolution, colors, referring to Printfection shop guidelines). Voted to reimburse Joe for gas to pick up seedlings if we go ahead with this plan.

Ended at 9:23 PM Central.